Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grey gardens




If my fate was to be a posh batty old lady socialite with eccentric style, no hair and a dazzling array of headscarves I wouldn't be too alarmed. Then again, if I had to spend this time living in a dilapidated mansion in the Hamptons with raccoons, fleas, trash and my equally crazy mother, I may reconsider the offer.

Grey Gardens is the 1975 documentary following mother and daughter Edith Beale (big Edie and little Edie). Once beautiful American socialites, the cousin and Aunt of Jackie Onassis,  and all around privileged woman, big Edie's divorce saw the duo slowly spiral into ruins clinging to their once majestic mansion, their grand memories and what could have been. Simultaneously hilarious and sad it shows one of the oddest and intimate relationships I have ever seen on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment