Monday, June 13, 2011

Creeper


When I approach Japanese people to ask if I can take their picture they often try to run away from me. I understand their instincts. I am a bit creepy. Derogatory feelings for myself set aside, it stems from the fact that many are worried they lack the communication skills to talk to a foreigner. The thought of an awkward moment shared between us sends them into a state of panic. When I saw the charming lady in the top photo with her kawaii ensemble (bucket hat, pastels, rose tinted glasses and amazing apron, swoon) I approached her tentatively. She saw me coming and shuffled away nervously, going to get her daughter who was working with her. I asked her in Japanese 'can I take a photo please?' which she misconstrued as me asking her to take a photo of me and became even more flustered, blushing profusely and edging away. After a rather broken explanation she realised that I wanted to take a photo of her and she threw her head back and laughed, really really hard. She was delighted and proceeded to give me the loveliest smile which really made my day.

6 comments:

  1. oh how cute! I love that pastel lady! And I totally have been there with the 'can i take your photo' 'sure i'll take your photo' drama! :) cutie!
    Love Sandwich
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thanks! She was so cute. It's always a touch awkward isn't it? But so worth it for a good photo!

    Not long till my visit to Tokyo. YAY!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute Gem! and what a cute story too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide what I like more, that she laughed so hard and gave you such a cute smile or that you could ask her to pose for you in Japanese! cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks ladies. She was a charmer! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine her smile was a reflection of yours.
    You are the charmer Gem. Love.

    ReplyDelete