Thursday, May 27, 2010

Becoming my own worst enemy




Hi! Hw r u? Hw r thngs? Do you fancy going 4 lunch?!! It has been soooooo long since we caught up. Let me know k! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Recently I sent this text. Then I recoiled in horror. What had I become? or as I was more likely to say 'WTF hd I become lol?' Unwittingly I had slowly turned into a user of text speak, losing my pride and dignity along the way. Somehow I was a bonified enthusiast of exclamation marks and even worse the 'xoxoxox' or 'xxxxx'. My text message seemed so fluffy and pink and teenage. What next? WRitInG liKe dIs? After the horrifiying epiphany I trawled my inbox. I had electronically exclaimed, kissed and LOL'ed in the sluttiest of manners. All of my friends were recieving the same treatment. An electronic onslaught of over emotional 'luff'. How embarrassing.

I am now slowly trying to wean myself away from exclamation marks, misspelt words and accronyms. My abuse of the English language has gone on for too long. Instead of thinking 'Omg, lol that is sooo funny!' I will breathe deeply and think about what I write. The hand still hovers over the shift key, an automatic response after years of guilty electronic enthusiam. I now ask myself  'Am I truly excited about the sentence I about to write? Does this deserve an exclamation mark?'

Usually, the answer is no.

To my friends. I am deeply deeply sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Ahahaha you're hilarious. I know what you mean though, I am exclamation queen(!!!!!!!!) and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    and :) :) :) :) :) hehehe (oh and hehehehehe) haha terrible.
    I think it is to overcompensate for the lack of real-lifey-ness when we're communicating over the internet. Don't feel bad


    :) xxxxxxxxx

    Hehe

    ReplyDelete