Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Coppola





Years ago, when I am Sam came out, I made the mistake of telling my friends that Dakota Fanning was my favourite actress. I'm not sure why I said it, I just really liked the film. They gave me endless amounts of shit about citing a child as my favourite actress of all time and predictably, I was stubborn and stood by my statement.

Somewhere by Sophia Coppola will be gracing cinemas later this year. It's staring Elle Fanning and Stephen Dorf so I'll be sure not to make the same mistake twice. The trailer, which hit the internet a few days ago has been generating much discussion. Coppola lovers and haters are all quick to provide comment and it seems speculation is rife. Personally, I really love her movies. It's all in the way they're so distinct. The intimate moments, the offbeat humour, the peculiar attention to details and the bizaare choices in soundtrack (Aphex Twin and Todd Rundgren!) It all comes together to create something that is distinct and somehow filled with nostalgia. Although some movies (Marie Antoinette) have been less great than others Coppola takes risks and works to her own agenda. I can't wait to see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment